Friday, September 21, 2012

Pinata Beef Enchilada Dinner - Deal of the Day

To quote U2: "but, I still haven't found what I'm looking for." And that is finding a decent Mexican frozen Deal of the Day for around a buck. In my latest meal review of Pinata's Beef Enchilada dinner, it's getting better but still no cigar.


I reviewed a Queso Enchilada Dinner by El Charro last year that was quite tasty (click here), but I hate to say that this Beef Enchilada comes in a distant 2nd place.



I'll start out by saying that the beans and rice are the best part of this frozen dinner. There are are a few whole beans and real rice kernels. I always like it when you can discern what you are eating.


But as usual the beef enchilada part microwaves to a mushy mess. The "beef" filling has no texture -- I don't expect chunks of meat, but a soupy filling is just not right. And the corn tortilla gives no resistance to even a spoon. But I did like the enchilada sauce -- there is a real Mexican spiciness.


And as usual with a lot of frozen dinners, the ingredients list is longer as the U.S Constitution. I'm sure a few less chemicals would not affect the flavor.

So on The 99 Cent Chef's rating scale, 9 being best, I give Pinada's Beef Enchilada Dinner a generous 5.

I'll keep searching for a cheap, but decent, frozen Mexican meal -- and I'll let you know when I find what I'm looking for!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...